Wednesday, January 15, 2014

washington, dc

hello!  i've been back from my dc vacation for- what's today?- 15 days, and getting around to writing a little recap and sharing photos has seemed like the most daunting task, but finally, here i am!  (disenchantment with blogging.  blogs in general?  you know.)

so our trip was fabulous. it was cold enough by our standards (high 30s to mid 40s) that we felt like we let some winter into our holiday season, but still nice enough to spend most of our time outdoors on foot.  we saw and did so much, and ate so so well.  there were wreaths with red velvet bows on every brownstone and church in the city, and wandering all the fantastic neighborhoods still humming of christmas made me so happy.  we stayed at the perfectly located jefferson hotel which wound up being a gorgeous and cozy respite for the evenings my long-lasting cough and cold kicked my tourist ass.    

beyond the requisite smithsonian crawl and visits to every monument's christmas tree, this trip had many highlights.  laughably, the first night there we canceled our reservation at the city's top-rated restaurant- a gourmet indian hot spot- only to end up wandering into a different (better?  more our speed) hole-in-the-wall indian place while on a late night cold med run.  for christmas mark surprised me with tickets to see washington ballet's nutcracker at warner theatre, and oh it was such a whimsical and pretty production (and venue!)- definitely among my top two favorite memories from our time in dc.  the other was our meal at le diplomate, a french restaurant that we cabbed over to after the most fun evening at the national zoo's holiday light display, zoolights.  best of all, my parents and brother were able to come up and meet us for a bit!  we happily accepted their offer of car excursions to the national aquarium in baltimore and the air & space museum's remote udvar-hazy center (which mark LOVED).

dc has always been my favorite american city and this trip only reaffirmed that for me.  there is just so much history, beauty, and flavor to take in.  we did SO MUCH in the five days we were there, and still couldn't check everything off our list.  next time!  thanks to mark for accompanying me on a another lovely and super fun vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you have such a lovely time there. I don't think it's possibly for that city to even become too familiar, it's a fantastic city and miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this looks and sounds so nice. I think I need a vacation. Or maybe just a date? A date that isn't a Potbelly sandwich in the car, while the baby sleeps in the backseat.

    Anyway, glad you got to enjoy some wintry fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually reserve my city exploring trips for the summer since I am such a wimp about the cold. DC around Christmas seems lovely though! Your photos are gorgeous. Kudos to you for not letting low temps (or a cold) slow you down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...